I was an atheist. Quantum physics set me on the path to Jesus

... was an atheist. Quantum physics set me on the path to Jesus

By Michael Guillén, Op-ed contributor

Christian Post, 
Skeptics question my honesty when I say I’m both a scientist and a Christian. They refuse to take seriously someone who believes in quantum physics and calls Jesus his Lord and Savior.

The most hate-filled among them accuse me of being a fake scientist and/or fake Christian. Their minds simply "cannot comprehend the possibility that science and Christianity are entirely, comfortably compatible."

In science-speak, these skeptics have a “classical” worldview. It’s a perception of reality that is purely logical, material, and mechanistic — very much like Newton’s classical physics.

For these classicists, a body is just flesh and blood, a mind is just the product of the brain’s electrical activity, and the entire universe is just one big, awesome accident of nature. It’s a blinkered perspective that led the late Stephen Hawking to say: “I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no Heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”

When I was a young atheist, I shared this machine-like view of reality. But I was quickly disabused of it when I started studying quantum physics.

Quantum physics turns logic on its head. Suddenly and enigmatically, the solid, material world becomes a ghostly cloud of probabilities, supernatural behavior becomes natural, and complete opposites become unified realities.

It’s precisely that utterly illogical strangeness that seized my attention when I read the New Testament for the first time. I could scarcely believe it! This alleged, Iron-Age Jesus of Nazareth spoke like a modern-day quantum physicist.

Unlike the instructions on how to live from any other sacred figure I’d ever read (by then, I had immersed myself in all the major religions), Jesus’s teachings turned logic on its head. During His Sermon on the Mount, for example, he admonished the crowd to love their enemies, that in order to live they first must die, that the first among them were, in fact, the last, and on and on.

Source:


Uploaded Image

Komentar

Postingan Populer