Connecting the dots - momentarily affliction, but eternal glory

Connecting the dots - momentarily affliction, but eternal glory

"For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison." - 2 CORINTHIANS 4:17

There are certain parts of scripture that make for great inspirational photos but are actually pretty "brutal" when it comes to applying them in real life.

2 Corinthians 4:17 is a perfect example. I can slap this verse onto a picture of a sunrise, share it on Instagram, and the likes will start pouring in. Probably also a lot of #blessed comments too. I'll feel super spiritual.

But when it comes time for me to take hold of this verse by faith, when I find myself within the scorching furnace of suffering, when I'm being swallowed by the leviathan of suffering, my trials don't seem like light momentary afflictions.

They seem crushing. Overwhelming. Absolutely unbearable at times.

And then I come to verses like 2 Corinthians 4:17. I read the passage and, at least initially, feel perplexed.

Light and momentary affliction? Did Paul have any idea what he was talking about when he wrote these words? How can he possibly say that both his and my suffering classify as light and momentary?

How can my ongoing depression be light and momentary? How can my friend's stage 4 cancer be considered anything but absolutely devastating? How can the almost certain death of a little boy with heart trouble be called anything other than crushing? How can the dissolution of a church plant be categorized as light momentary affliction?

Without in any way minimizing the pain of these trials, it also seems that Paul had a different perspective than I do.


Dear God, thank you that my earthly suffering, no matter how great, cannot compare to eternity and the glory to be experienced there. In Jesus' name, amen.


Source:
(*) connecting the dots

Komentar

Postingan Populer