Listen to the small voice in your heart -- Connecting the Dots

"
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps."
PROVERBS 16:9

Our bodies are a temple for the Holy Spirit, and as such, when we consecrate that space for Him, He is faithful to meet us there. The problem with our temples is they become too crowded for His Spirit to comfortably reside there. Our minds are filled with worries, and our hearts filled with anxiety. 

We harbor guilt, anger, and unforgiveness on the shelves of our mind. We spend our time on television, social media, or our busy schedule more than we do laying a good foundation in our spirit. Hey, I'm guilty too, but if you desire to hear more from the Lord, I've found you must close out the distraction and noise of this world to be able to listen. His voice is a whisper.  

I've taken to practicing a daily unloading of the world. Usually first thing in the morning while in the shower I will quiet my heart and mind, close my eyes, and picture that I am standing at the foot of a throne. In the highest seat is Jesus, and I mentally and emotionally unload my burdens. I pray in surrender and tell the Lord something like, "today I give you all my anxiety, worries, and uncertainty. I exchange them for your Spirit and peace."

I've noticed a tremendous upswing in my day with this simple practice of surrender. In it, I am acknowledging His supreme power in my life. I'm admitting I cannot do it alone. Many times I will imagine myself walking in a field with Jesus, simply spending carefree time with my Savior.

When we can pray, listen, and read the Word, the Lord will speak to our hearts. He will impart His plans, His knowledge, and His heart, but I've found the key to hearing that still, small voice is pushing out the noise that distracts us. And when I say noise, I don't just mean the television or screaming children. I'm referring to the noise in our heads, the to-do lists, or the lies from the enemy that say how we perform in life is more important than who God made us to be. The lies that compare us to others, or worry about the opinion of others versus who God says we are. To hear from the Lord is to lay down your life, meaning you would give up anything and everything, including and foremost the things of this world.

There is no room in our bodies, hearts, and minds for anything other than God, but we continue to fill the spaces with it. The thing is, those things don't satisfy, they just leak out leaving us feeling empty. If we build it, though, He will come. If we empty our houses, clean them of the things not of God, and open the doors in anticipation of His Spirit, He will come and make His home in us.

Dear God, thank you that your still, small voice is powerful enough to silence the distraction in my mind, if only I will allow it. Please help me to silence the noise that drowns out the sacred words of your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, amen.

Komentar

Postingan Populer