Serenity prayer -- connecting the dots

"
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
PHILIPPIANS 4:7

"God, grant me the serenity…"

Written by Reinhold Niebuhr, the Serenity Prayer is a humble submission to the Lord, giving up the things we cannot control and trusting Him to provide just what our hearts need. Serenity is the state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled.

"God, grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change; 

courage to change the things I can; 

and wisdom to know the difference."


We often pray this BOLD prayer in submission to the Lord when things are out of our control.

The full Serenity Prayer goes far beyond the typical "God, grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change…"

"Living one day at a time; 

enjoying one moment at a time; 

accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 

taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it; 

trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will; 

that I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

forever in the next. 

Amen."


Those are fighting words right there.

When praying the Serenity Prayer, I challenge you today to go beyond the first part. Dive deeper into the words. Put your soul into the communication you're having with the Lord and fully surrender your ways to His. Otherwise, we're just praying "fighting words" that hold power and punch, without ever lifting our fist.

Dear God, please help me to lift my fist to fight for serenity in everything I face today. In Jesus' name, amen.

Komentar

Postingan Populer