Your husband is your top ministry calling - Connecting the dots

"
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior."
EPHESIANS 5:22-23

I wear many hats, but there is one that I consider most important. The other morning as I sat gulping my coffee, I watched my weary husband head out the door. That man was a hard worker, no doubt. He not only worked long hours running his own business, but he also put in a huge effort toward helping me with the children when he was home. So as he left for work I had kissed him goodbye. I had given him an extra long hug while whispering "have a good day," but my heart still ached for him as he went out the door. I desired to take some of his burden, even as I knew I could not.

I got busy with the children shortly after he left, but even later I found him coming to my mind. I thought to myself I should send him a text, just to let him know I'm thinking of him, and it was in that moment I felt the Lord very strongly impress these words upon me:

"Your husband is your top ministry calling."

And I realized it was true. Of all the many aspects of my life I loved, he was the most important to me. God had placed us together, and my job as a wife was to love, honor and build up my spouse. 

My thoughts were quickly interrupted as they often are when you have young children. And hours later as I rocked our baby down for a nap I heard my phone vibrate as a text rolled in. It occurred to me then as I saw my spouse's number pop up on my phone that I had not texted him earlier as I intended. It read,

"I just want you to know I love you more than you could ever know. I appreciate all you do and all you are. With the store it seems I'm always stressed about something and I don't want you to think it has anything to do with you or our life together because it doesn't. I am the most blessed man in the world to have you baby. It's a long week for me every week and I am exhausted by the weekend. I am happy though so no worries. Hope your day goes well. I love you sooo much!"

As I read the words tears filled my eyes, my heart swelled and gratitude surrounded me. I reread the text sent by my husband and realized God must have been telling us the same thing that day.

I know that I am a better mother, nurse, encourager and friend when I pay attention to my top ministry calling. My marriage.

Dear God, please equip me to be the encourager, lover, and partner that my husband needs each day. Help me to honor him in our marriage in all ways. In Jesus' name, amen.

Komentar

Postingan Populer